Book Review: Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners



Author: Laurie Keller
Interest Level: Ages 6-9

About The Book: Mr. Rabbit is worried that he might not get along with his new neighbors. A wise owl gives him the advice, "Do unto otters as you would have otters do unto you" and proceeds to explain what this means. Thus follows a listing of traits and qualities such as friendliness, politeness, honesty, consideration, cooperation, and sharing. Each one contains humorous examples of Mr. Rabbit and the Otters following those rules. Also included are samples of how to say certain phrases such as "Excuse me" and "Please" in Spanish, French, German, Japanese, and Pig Latin. Each page bursts with colorful illustrations and is scattered with words of different sizes and fonts.

 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: I was so excited when I found this!!! I love bibliotherapy that uses humor. I've read the very beautiful children's book The Golden Rule by Ilene Cooper many times to students. So it was neat to discover such a humorous complimentary companion to teach this beautiful universal rule of life. I get many giggles and smiles when I read Do Unto Otters. I love the author's cute website. Oh, and I even discovered you can buy a little video of the book. Here is the adorable trailer. This is an enjoyable read for your shelf.

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments