Book Review: My Grandma Died

Author: Lory Britain, Ph.D.
Illustrated by Carol Deach
Interest Level: Ages 4-8


About This Book:
This gentle story is written for the very young. It uses simple, honest language to clarify that death is permanent, that the child will never again be able to bake cookies or rock with grandma. The child acknowledges that losing grandma is a greater loss than that of a toy or pet.
My Grandma Died assures the young child that it’s normal to feel angry, frightened and sad when grieving. It also helps a child distinguish between the emotional pain of grief and the physical pain of a scrape or sunburn. Carefully researched and reviewed by therapists who work with preschool and primary-age children, My Grandma Died offers practical, age-appropriate suggestions for coping with loss.

 

Mama says I can draw a picture of how
I'm feeling when I'm all mixed up inside 

 
Why It's On My Bookshelf: Okay, do not be scared of how simple and tiny the book looks. It's concrete and to the point, exactly the kind of book you need to read to 4-8 year olds. My Grandma Died gives a child coping strategies on how to meet their emotional needs during the grieving process. When a grandparent dies, it's a big deal. Add this one to the grief section of your shelf, especially if you are a counselor.

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments