Book Review: Growing Up with a Bucket Full of Happiness: Three Rules for a Happier Life

Author: Carol McCloud
Illustrated by Penny Weber
Book Website: www.bucketfillers101.com 
Interest Level: Grades 3 and Up
Chapter Book

From the Book Jacket: Do you know you have an invisible bucket which is filled with all of your good thoughts and feelings? If you're new to the concepts of bucket filling and bucket dipping, then this book is for you. With  easy-to-read chapters, colorful illustrations, and daily questions to help readers become better bucket fillers, Growing Up with a Bucket Full of Happiness: Three Rules for a Happier Life gives readers the tools to live a life filled with happiness.

Why It's On My Bookshelf: When I got this awesome new addition to my bucket books I had a little fun with it. So I hid it behind my back when I showed it to my 3-5th graders. They've heard Have You Filled a Bucket and How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids countless times over the years so I knew they'd be a little shocked and excited about this new one - because it is totally geared to their age. And of course when I showed what I was hiding, they were eagerly wanting me to read it and wanted to know when it would also be available in our school library.

It's a chapter book and well.....it's PERFECT. The kids are learning all kinds of new things about bucket filling:
  • BFF = Bucket Fillers Forever (and here you thought it meant best friends forever)
  • Group Bucket Filling
  • How To Avoid Dipping
  • Accidental Dipping
  • Thoughtless Dipping
  • Selective Dipping
  • Group Dipping
  • Dipping on Television
  • Long-Handled Dipping
  • Use Your Lid (I've been waiting for someone to use that idea when it comes to bucket filling.  Protect your bucket from getting dipped in the first place. Love it.)
  • Use Your Lid for Others
  • Advanced Bucket Fillers
  • When A Lid Doesn't Work
If you are a bucket believer then I know you just got a little giddy about the above list. I haven't created any lessons to go with the book yet so I've been playing it by ear and basically doing discussion as we read it. I am sensing from the kids that they would really like to have their own copy to read from. It also has cool pictures throughout. We have ordered a few copies for our school library and they will definitely be in HOT demand. I encourage teachers (grades 3 and up) to have a copy in their kid reading library. Your students will thank you. It could also be a great read aloud to increase your classroom climate. Now who is not for that!?  

Group Dipping


Use Your Lid
Hoping more bucket books are going to be published. They are an INVALUABLE resource for children.

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:   

4 comments

  1. I have a question for the book expert! I remember reading a book to my class a few years about about a bunny who was not a good listener..the character was the same one as the bunny in one of your back to school books... any idea what book I am talking about. I can't remember the bunny's name! Warren P something or other???

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie!

    That would be Howard B Wigglebottom Learns to Listen.

    You can watch an animated version of the book at www.wedolisten.com

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about Bucketfilling being an invaluable tool- for all ages!
    There is a new one out-"Halle and Tiger with their Bucketfilling Family", by Peggy Johncox. You can go to peggyjohncoxbooks.com and soon it will be available on: bucketfillers101.com as well!
    Happy Bucketfilling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I'm so glad to know there IS an upper grade version. I've used the primary book with my 3rd-5th graders before and it goes okay but I'm so glad to know that there is one more age appropriate. Now I'm off to buy another book ;)

    ReplyDelete