Book Review: Your Fantastic Elastic Brain




















Author: JoAnn Deak
Illustrator: Sarah Ackerley
Interest Level: Ages 5 and Up

About This Book: This innovative and timely picture book teaches children that they have the ability to stretch and grow their own brains. It also delivers the crucial message that mistakes are an essential part of learning. 



Why It's On My Bookshelf: I have been wanting this book FOREVER. It was picked as one of our Book of the Month selections at school so copies were ordered for everyone! So why is this book so uber cool in my opinion? It teaches kids ALL about their brains but most importantly:
  • learning new things strengthens the brain
  • making mistakes is one of the best ways your brain learns and grows
  • you can STRETCH the part of your brain that controls your feelings
And much more........

Don't these seem like things kids should know and understand? And shouldn't we be reinforcing these messages as they navigate their ever complicated world? Love this resource and I think it should be on EVERY teacher's shelf in America. Seriously.

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful: 



1 comment

  1. I Love love this book. I figure it is the kid version of Mindset. I have used it for a 4 week session with a group of kids that don't take risks.

    ReplyDelete