Book Review: What If Everybody Did That?

Author: Ellen Javernick
Illustrator: Colleen M. Madden
Interest Level: Ages 5 and Up

From the Book Jacket: If you drop just one soda can out the window. It's no big deal ... right? But what if everybody did that? What if everybody broke the rules ... and spoke during story time, didn't wash up, or splashed too much at the pool? Then the world would be a mess. 

But what if everybody obeyed the rules so that the world would become a better place? This book shows how each person's small, everyday choices - good or bad - have consequences one way or the other. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: This has been on my wish list for a looooong time. Decided it was time to buy it because I've had some PBIS ideas floating around in my head for back to school. This story is going to be part of our kick off for learning the school standards. What if Everybody Did That? is all about community and remembering we all play a part in keeping our school, neighborhoods, and homes safe and happy places. If we don't think of others our surroundings and daily routines can quickly become chaotic. 

There are fourteen examples showing cause and effect example of behavior. 

"During story time I had something important to say. I just couldn't wait till the end of the story. The librarian put her finger to her lips and said, "What if everybody did that?"


Just once I didn't hang my coat on the rack at school. Ms. Sanders made me pick it up and said, "What if everybody did that?"


The last example is a positive one. I was happy they ended on a good note and what a great way to start off your lesson and discussion. 

When I came home I gave my mom a hug. What if everybody did that?


If you need a new resource to introduce routines, procedures, and school standards this is such a great reinforcer! 

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful: 


No comments