Book Review: I Am Peace - A Book of Mindfulness

Author: Susan Verde
Illustrator: Peter H. Reynolds

From the Book Jacket: I give myself a moment. I take a breath. And then I tell myself: It's alright. I am Peace. Mindfulness means being fully in the present moment. Children can learn how to manage their emotions, make good choices, and balance their busy lives by learning to be mindful. Express emotions through speech. Find empathy through imagination. Wonder at the beauty of the natural world. I Am Peace encourages children to breathe, taste, smell, and be present in the here and now. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: This year I used this book in a small group setting to teach students how to regulate using positive self talk when they are feeling anger or anxiety. We also created affirmations that help students reframe and transform the negativity they are feeling. I had a couple of teachers in my school who created corners in their room students could use for relaxation and calming. So this book came in handy to help encourage kids to use those spaces to practice techniques and skills to help them be happier in the classroom and not feel like they need to avoid or escape. 

A Link to This Book:

No comments