Book Reviews: Mommy's Khimar and Under My Hijab

Author: Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow
Illustrator: Ebony Glenn

From the Book Jacket: In Mommy's Khimar a young girl plays dress-up with her mother's head scarves, feeling her mother's love with each one she tries on. Charming and vibrant illustrations showcase the beauty of a diverse and welcoming community in this portrait of a young Muslim American girl's life.





Author: Hena Khan
Illustrator: Aaliya Jaleel

From the Book Jacket: Grandma's hijab under her chin. Auntie pins hers up with a whimsical brooch. Jenna puts a sun hat over hers when she hikes. Iman wears a sports hijab for tae kwon do. As a young girl observes the women in her life and how each covers her hair a different way, she dreams of the possibilities in her own future and how she might express her personality through her hijab. Under My Hijab provides a friendly introduction to hijabs for all readers, and celebrate the Muslim women and girls who choose to wear them. 

Why They Are On My Bookshelf: Both of these books have provided an avenue for my daughter and I to talk about the diversity within her school. My daughter understands hijabs are not just about the way they are worn but the reasons for wearing them. I'm so grateful that picture books like this exist for children to access and to shine a light on why some Muslim women choose to wear them. I highly recommend these books as they are so IMPORTANT right now. I'm hoping to incorporate them in my school counseling lessons. 

A Link to These Books:

No comments