Book Review: We Wanted You

Author: Liz Rosenberg
Interest Level: Ages 5-9

About This Book: Beginning "From the moment you were born-and even before that moment-we knew we wanted you," a poetic text and Catalanotto's glowing illustrations distinguish this book on adoption. As the parents explain how they waited and searched and hoped for Enrique, the illustrations show the boy during several milestones of his life, beginning with his high school graduation on the title page and moving back through his life with his adoptive parents: catching the school bus, getting measles, fishing with his father. Text and art work perfectly together; the pictures show the child getting younger and younger as the text culminates with the parents receiving their baby and ending, "We wanted you so much, back then. And we still do." The endpaper shows Enrique entering a new stage of his life: college. Although there are quite a few good books on this subject for parents to use with their children, this one is a lovely choice.

Why It's On My Bookshelf: Bibliotherapy books on adoption hold a special place in my heart because I am an adoptee. As I continue to blog my favorite books that help heal kids, I will be adding many books on adoption. This book is precious. If you are an adoptive parent, introduce this book to your child. Every adopted child wants to hear the words in this book - and they will want to hear it over and over again. The words are so healing. I smiled the first time I read this book because it made me feel so good inside. If you are looking for healing books on adoption for your shelf, We Wanted You is a wonderful choice.

A Link to This Book:

3 comments

  1. We have that book & our son loves it. I especially like it because it shows a trans-racial adoption. Enrique has brown skin & his adoptive parents have white skin. Our son is just beginning to notice his skin is brown (he's full Hispanic) & ours is not. It represents our family in a way he can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth:
    your family is absolutely beautiful. Even though I am 36 years old - and adopted way back when... I just love this book and I know other kids that really love it too.
    Roxanne, Books That Heal Kids

    PS. read your blog post about the census and the box for adopted kids. TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your blog. Room To Grow posted it as one of her favorites (August, 2010) and I agree.

    An adoption I love is, Motherbridge of Love, based on a Chinese poem. It connects a birthmother and adoptive mother. You can see more if it at http://www.bfbooks.net

    I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming book on adoption.

    Marcia Maynard

    ReplyDelete