Book Review: The Land of Many Colors

Written by the Klamath County YMCA Family Preschool
Illustrated by Rita Pocock
Interest Level: Ages 4-8

From the Book Jacket: A simple message of peace and respect for differences is the theme of this book written by children for children. When the purple people, the blue people, and the green people begin fighting and hurting each other, they are reminded that although they have different feelings and like different things, they can still be friends.

Why It's On My Bookshelf: There are some books I enjoy reading....and then there are ones I REALLY enjoy reading like The Land of Many Colors. "Can't we all just get along?" Remember that famous quote? Well, sometimes I feel that way in an elementary school setting! We've got a lot of peace and harmony flowing through our school, but once in awhile a group of students will sort of become exclusive. That's when I'm reminded of how important books are and as cheesy as this sounds....they can save the world gosh darn it! I am so grateful for this simple, yet powerful, story. I have been able to do A LOT with this book. It promotes diversity, differences, friendship, and team work. Favorite part of the story is when the different colors are confronted by a little child all covered in dust and shouts, "STOP!" I ask the students why he/she is covered in dust. Oh my goodness, I love the responses. This is a heart and mind opener. GET IT.

A Link to This Book:

1 comment

  1. Thanks for reminding me of this story. I used to read it to my kindergarteners!

    ReplyDelete