Book Review: Wiener Wolf


Author/Illustrator: Jeff Crosby
Interest Level: Ages 4-9

From the Book Jacket: Wiener dog has a cushy life - an arm lap, plenty of chew toys and treats, and all the TV he can watch. But there's something missing. And Wiener Dog must strike out on his own to find it. Even if it means shedding his cozy sweater. Even if it means leaving Granny behind. But is being a lone Wiener Wolf all it's cracked up to be?

Why It's On My Bookshelf: I saw this book last week at Barnes and Noble and when I went out to the parking lot I KNEW I needed it. You see I am always telling (preaching) to our students the importance of finding a friend you can be your self around. The type of friend where you don't have to change who you are or throw out your values. You know it's the right friend fit when you feel good about how you're acting and feeling. Enter WIENER WOLF!!!!!

Oh gosh, I loved this story. Wiener dog wants to run with the wolves and become their buddies. But he comes to realize it's just not working out trying to be friends with the wild wolves. Their behavior is not a good fit for him. He has to be true to himself and go back home. This is the part of the story where I always like to ask the kids, "Have you ever had that feeling? Like something doesn't feel right in your heart? That you are going against what you know is right?" Wiener Wolf is going to help me deliver this message. Friendship is a yearlong journey for kids so I am always sneaking in great books to help be a support.  

Wiener dog meets the wolves......

Wiener dog goes home and meets friends who are more his fit......
So obviously I went back and purchased Wiener Wolf. I love adding NEW ones to my shelf for the fall. The students will love the story and message in this one. It's simple and the illustrations are so well done the kids are not going to want me to turn the pages too fast. Also, how can you not love a book about a wiener dog!?

A Link to This Book:

1 comment

  1. This sounds like something I need to look at. We've been talking to Charlie a LOT about friends, what being a friend really means, how a friend should treat you, etc. He's a follower and a people pleaser so we ran into some issues last year at school.

    ReplyDelete