Book Review: Leave Me Alone

Author: Kes Gray
Illustrator: Lee Wildish
Interest Level: K -3

A Note From the Publisher: A little boy is feeling sad because every day he has to face a bully. But this story’s little boy also has friends. A frog, a cat, a rabbit, a cow, and other animal friends insist on helping him, even after he tells them: “There’s nothing you can do for me/ There’s nothing you can say.” Fortunately, he is mistaken, because the next time the bully approaches, they all join with him and shout, “LEAVE HIM ALONE!” And it works! The bully turns around and goes away. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: Originally I saw this book posted on Pinterest and thought how did I miss this book? This might seem like a really quick read but there is a lot of power behind the story. It empowers the victim and the bystanders when a mean situation is going down. I think a lot of kids will relate to the feeling of being powerless. Hate having to write that but it's true. There are some kids in my school who just "put up with it." But I have a whole lot of kids who are witnessing it and can PROTECT that child. In the story, there are animals who represent the bystanders. I'm thinking I'll have fun with this book and bring in LOTS of stuffed animals for kids to use in role plays.


A Link to This Book:


2 comments

  1. It looks like a perfect read. Thanks.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your site through Pinterest and I'm your newest follower! I love children's books!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete