Book Review: Stuck With the Blooz

Stuck With the Blooz
by Caron Levis
illustrated by Jon Davis
Book Website: Click here

A Note From the Publisher: What do you do when you're feeling blue--especially when your mood takes the form of a drippy, oozy monster called the Blooz? Do you ignore it? Do you ask it lots of questions? Do you give it an ice-pop and hope it goes away? Through trial and error, the child in this story discovers that while it may not be easy, it's not impossible to shake the Blooz. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: There are students in my school who will really benefit from reading this book. They are dealing with life situations that are contributing to increased feelings of sadness. One way to help them cope is by giving them awareness of their emotions and finding ways through discussion on how to deal with it when it pops up in their life. Perfect book for this! You could also do some creative art therapy by drawing the Blooz monster from the book.

I don't know what the statistics are regarding depression and children but I personally feel this generation is at risk. With the recent shootings in Newtown we are all feeling really down. My niece who is a 5th grader said to me, "I just feel so sad." It is such a traumatic event and has filled so many kids with a deep sadness that they don't know what to do with it. I know the healing will take a long time but turning to books can sometimes bring comfort and provide help for those who are hurting.

A Link to This Book:

No comments