Book Review: Draw the Line




Author/Illustrator: Kathryn Otoshi

From the Book Jacket: When two boys draw their own lines and realize they can connect them - magic happens! But then a misstep causes their lines to get crossed. Push! Pull! Tug! Yank! Soon their line unravels into a tug-of-war. With a growing rift between them, will the boys ever find a way to come together again? This is a wordless picture book about friendship, boundaries, and healing after conflict. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: I often feel like I go through cycles as a school counselor as the CONSTANT problem solver with kid conflict. It is not my favorite thing! My hope this year is to be more proactive in giving kids the tools and skills they need to solve their own issues that don't require adult help. I needed a book that is not too long and will give me enough time in my lesson to work on conflict resolution steps. Also, because this story is wordless it allows us to create our own plan to make amends in friendships. I love the illustration of the large crack in the ground between the boys. I think it's a great metaphor and a discussion starter on how to fix our friendship cracks. Another positive was I needed more books with boys in it. I like to see a representation of everyone on my bookshelf. Excited to add this one to my library and hoping it helps lessen my time spent doing all the problem solving. 

A Link to This Book:


No comments