Book Review: Yoga Friends and Yoga Cards for Children

Authors: Mariam Gates & Rolf Gates
Illustrator: Sarah Jane Hinder

From the Book Jacket: From the creators of Good Night Yoga and Good Morning Yoga comes a beautifully illustrated adventure that introduces children to the delights and benefits of partner yoga. Perfect for teaming up with a friend, sibling, parent, or caregiver, each easy practice shows how cooperation helps us to imagine, move, and have fun in a whole new way. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: I have been trying to explore more ways to do Yoga Groups in my school counseling program and teaching kids to do partner yoga seems like a fun way to boost lessons and engagement from kids. It would be a great way to teach cooperation, empathy, and perseverance. The authors always put a visualization activity in the end of their books and this time they included an activity called Mirror Me for yoga partners. Absolutely love this book and it will be a great introductory read for my groups. 


Yoga for Children Yoga Cards
by Lisa Flynn Founder of ChildLight Yoga and Yoga 4 Classrooms

About This Resource: This interactive deck includes more than 50 cards featuring Mindful Me mindfulness activities, Time to Breathe breathing exercises, Strike a Pose yoga poses, and Rest & Relax relaxation exercises. Together, you'll learn the many benefits of the various activities while strengthening your connection with your child. Complete with full-color, easy-to-follow photographs, Yoga for Children - Yoga Cards will help you teach your child to be more resilient, confident, and calm - on  yoga session at a time. Help your kids de-stress, get healthy, and have fun!

Why It's On My Bookshelf: So excited to add these cards to my Yoga Groups, Classroom Lessons, and my Calming Corner. I have been in major need of better visuals when I am teaching Mindfulness and Yoga with students. It's also given me some better ideas on poses and activities to use.  These will be easy to incorporate into my program and I'd like to even frame a few to use in my calming corner. 

One of the cards I am really excited about is the Rest with Breathing Buddies. This is an activity I have taught before using a stuffed beanie/animal. Watch the video below to see the exercise in practice:



A Link to These Resources: 

No comments