Book Review: Moody Cow Meditates
















Author/Illustrator: Kerry Lee MacLean
Interest Level: Ages 4 and Up

From the Book Jacket: It all started one stupid, rotten day when everything went wrong…
Peter the cow is having a BAD day. After missing the bus and wiping out on his bike he loses his temper and gets in trouble. To make matters worse all the other kids are teasing him, calling him Moody Cow. Peter’s day just seems to get worse until his grandfather comes over and teaches him how to settle his mind and let go of his frustration through a simple and fun exercise. This vibrant and funny children’s book is a playful way to introduce children to the power of meditation. With full color illustrations by the author, Moody Cow Meditates is a wonderful book for parents and children to share together.
Why It's On My Bookshelf: At the beginning of the school year I attended a district counselor meeting to share what successful resources we have been using. A few counselors gave praise to the book Moody Cow Meditates and how the use of Mind Jars in their schools was impactful with kids. I kept thinking - how can I not have this book yet?? 

I bought it after the meeting and can't wait to put it to use. This is a great book to teach kids calming skills through the use of a Mind Jar. Moody Cow is lacking the tools on how to deal with anger and frustration. He also says 'okay, maybe I overreacted.' I was really glad this concept was introduced because we have a lot of kids that treat small deals like huge ones. Moody Cow also says he does things on purpose. What a great way to open up the discussion about making good choices. Can't wait to make Mind Jars with our students!





I also love this video on Mindfulness. If you don't have time to make a Mind Jar....just use a glitter ball. Love!



A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

1 comment

  1. I use a glitter ball with my students all the time! They love the visual. We also talk about the fight or flight response. The kids really understand why a calm brain works better. Now if I could just get them to apply it :)

    ReplyDelete